Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pride and Prejudice Challenge


The Classic Club has really opened my eyes to a world of like-minded readers. I don't know where I've been and what I've been doing for the past couple of years, but there are so many things to do/read on-line that I'm dumbfounded. I've been checking out other possible challenges for reading during the year and decided that I absolutely must take on the Pride and Prejudice challenge. It is the bicentenary of the publication of the novel. This challenge can be a mixture of reading or watching anything (movies, t.v. series, related novels, etc.) related to Pride and Prejudice. I looked at a number of lists to come up with my own. I'm not sure that I will go in any particular order except to read the novel first and watch the 2005 movie last.



1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, 1813 - It has been two years since I read P&P, so I need to re-read for a solid foundation. I hate when I'm reading a sequel and I can't quite remember an important detail.


2. Becoming Jane by Julian Jarrold, 2007 - I love this movie.

3. Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James, 2011 - I am inspired to choose this novel because it is featured on so many participant lists.

4. Pride and Prejudice BBC miniseries, 1995 - I compare all Mr. Darcys to Mr. Firth's Darcy.
Love Mr. Darcy 

5. Austenland by Shannon Hale, 2007 - While I want to read the novel first, there is no doubt I will try to see the movie. From what I can tell, the movie premiered at the Sundance Film Festival at the end of January where it was picked up by Sony. My piece of advice or threat to Sony is get the movie out there now!

6. An Unlikely Duet by Leila M. Silver, 2012 - It seems there are a number of sequels featuring Georgiana. Hopefully this one doesn't disappoint.

7.Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton, 2010 - I've often imagined Charlotte's life after P&P, and it isn't pretty or fun. I hope Ms. Becton does a better job with Charlotte than I have.

8. The Unexpected Miss Bennett by Patrice Sarath, 2011 - I'm not sure I would have chosen this novel except I had a student recently write a paper about P&P where she spent a good deal of time analyzing Mary. 


9. Bride and Prejudice by Gurinder Chadha, 2004 - I have always wanted to watch this movie. 

10. Letters from Pemberley: The First Year by Jane Dawkins, 1999 - I actually have this epistolary novel sitting on my bookshelf. I have not read it. It looks like it is from Elizabeth's POV in letters to her sister, Jane. Up to this point I have not put anything on my list from Elizabeth's perspective.

11. An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan, 2003 - This is first in a trilogy. I am skeptical about reading this one because the reviews are all over the place. Still, as it is from Darcy's perspective and incorporates some original dialogue, it is on the list.

12. Pride and Prejudice movie by Joe Wright, 2005 - I can just picture myself watching this movie over Christmas break at the end of the year.



So, there it is. I'm not a stickler for rules and may add or change titles per my interests. See you in Austenland.

No comments:

Post a Comment